Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Responses to 8 Attachments


Lamont- Shitty First Draft:
            I really like the idea of writing a shitty first draft because I’m not very good at writing and better with talking.  So when I write, I write as if I was having a conversation with someone.  And with this idea of a shitty first draft it helps me write out my essay like I was speaking it.  It’s very helpful to spew everything out and put it all down on paper then on a final draft rearrange and rewrite to what is ok to turn in.  I like knowing too that professional writers make shitty drafts because I assumed that they got it almost perfect the first time.  Another thing I like about this is its very short and too the point.  I don’t like reading so having about only a page to read was a day maker.
Boyd- Murder Rhetorically:
Already read and responded to a while ago.
Dirk- Navigating Genres:
Kill me now.
I hate reading.
So I feel like when it comes to learning genres most of it is kind of common sense.  We already know the way we write in a Facebook status is going to be different than the way we write in an essay for school.  There is a lot more to those genres than may come in our minds but usually people get a general idea of what goes into the type of writings we do. 
Elbow- Teaching Two Kinds of Thinking:
I definitely do the first type of thinking.  But I think that applies to a lot of art students because we don’t think of boundaries or control when we create our art.  This type of thinking I believes lets out how you really feel and what you think about a subject.  Its also basically how I write.  Don’t think too hard just letting it all spew out with no direction and structure.  It’s the secondary thinking that I struggle with the most when it comes to English.  I can get out the general idea then I have troubles with breaking it down, going into detail, and analyze it all. 
Everything’s an Argument:
Already read and responded to.
Carroll- Backpacks vs. Briefcases:
Ok now kill me.
I don’t like this writing article because it was too much with the examples that it would lead me away from the main point.  I would lose sight of what it was trying to teach me with men’s deodorant, billboard, and store choices.  Some of the examples do help like the teacher’s outfit for the first day with analyzing and outfits for what you are about to do that is rhetoric. In the end this is way too much to read and could have been shortened down a lot.  It would be a lot less confusing and easier to pay attention to.
So What? Who Cares?:
I think I struggle a lot with a clear thesis statement and trying to get across a point when I write.  It’s a lot easier to get across a point when talking but I feel like it gets lost when I write.  I think part of it is it getting lost in the fluff of trying to extend my writing to fit however many pages I need to write.  This is why I like writing short, sweet, and to the point.  Because who cares about anything you have to say when its layered in examples and details.  They are going to get bored and move on, “just get it out” it what anyone is going to be thinking.  This piece of writing was way more to the point than the backpack and briefcase one. 
Bunn- How to Read Like a Writer:
I cannot connect with this at all.  And I think this would be a great piece if you were a student studying English and writing.  But as a photography student I will never need the skill nor will I ever have the interest to read like a writer.  My skill is to see as a photographer, that’s what I need to know.  The only things regular people see when reading a text is thesis and evidence or facts to prove the point.  Other than that no one has the time or interest to break it down to choices of the author.  And I don’t know about other people but there was a lot of messed up words that came out as symbols I’m thinking from technical errors.  Its resembled almost as if I was opening up a document from Microsoft Word to Notepad.  Some weird stuff going on at random places.

No comments:

Post a Comment