Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Everything's an Argument



This was a lot. 
First off I hate arguments.  I’m a super laid back person so I don’t really get into arguments and try to avoid other people’s fights/ debates.
This was a lot of information than I thought I could ever receive about the subject of arguing.  The only way I could see an article like to be helpful is if you are looking to become a lawyer or want to win a debate with someone.  Other than that I don’t see how this can really relate to the photography I want to do.  I guess learning all the facts of arguing could be useful when someone wants to argue if your work is real art or maybe argue the meaning behind it.  But one thing I can’t get behind is everything being an argument.  Ok if I wore a white shirt today I’m just wearing a white shirt, maybe I just like it, maybe all my clothes are dirty and I need to do laundry.  And how is the belated birthday card an example of an argument?  I hate this part of English or Art subjects of learning.  To find a meaning or a point that everything is dissected and thought of to a point that you are thinking too hard about it.  I feel like you won’t appreciate the art enough if you’re thinking too hard about it.  Once in High School my English teacher wanted to know why the writer described the curtains as red.  Then the whole class was going off on all these ideas about red curtains for 30 minutes.  How about they wanted to add a pop of color to the living room or red went well with the color scheme of the room.  Anyway learned a lot about something I don’t like to do, different types, different times, arguing for your type of audience, and a whole lot more.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. We can talk about this sort of over-analytical stuff in class tomorrow and for the rest of the course too. So you know, I agree with you that not EVERYTHING is an argument -- at least not an intentional one that requires crazy between-the-lines analysis.

    The reason why I assigned this reading is to prepare us for the final paper -- that needs to be a thesis-driven *argument*, so I'm trying to get us in the mindset of how we can evaluate something and dig for deep(er) analysis.

    Z

    ReplyDelete